We offer process improvement services as part of our Business Performance Consulting offering and as a stand-alone service. We use methodologies, including Lean Six Sigma, benchmarking and value stream analysis—a technique for eliminating waste—to help organizations improve and optimize their business processes.
Conducting a process improvement assessment will uncover the details of existing business processes so they can be documented and examined for eventual optimization and improvement.
Documenting Your Processes Using Process Mapping
In order to improve a process, it’s vital to know exactly how it operates. Process maps capture the ‘as-is’ operation of processes for evaluation. Best practices include the use of new process mapping tools, process classification frameworks, and standard ‘languages’ of process symbols called BPMN and DMN.
Used together and led by experienced process improvement professionals, these tools can greatly improve the ability of an organization to:
- Document existing processes end-to-end, including organizations/roles, and manual or automated tasks.
- Organize all process documentation via a classification system such as the APQC PCF (Process Classification Framework).
- Provide both visual and data driven insights about the strengths and weaknesses of a process.
- Enable a range of improvement options to be designed, tested, and implemented.
- Transform the focus of an organization from traditional departmental silos to delivering maximum customer value via efficient and responsive end-to-end business processes.
Benchmarking and Value Stream Analysis
Once we have your organization’s processes mapped, our team will have a better understanding of how the process operates and how the current level of performance compares to industry benchmarks.
Through the APQC Open Source Benchmarking database, we can use more than 2,000 KPIs with performance data based on almost 30,000 company surveys to assess an organization’s processes. This approach allows us to know which processes are the areas of concern that need immediate focus.
Other techniques can then be applied to these processes, such as Value Stream Analysis. This involves collecting data on each major process step and inventory queue to determine the overall lead time and the percent of non-value-added time. Finding ways to reduce or eliminate the non-value-added activities can greatly improve the lead time as well as eliminate many other forms of process waste.
Click here to read examples of how process mapping leads to improved operations.
Learn more about our services at the links below:
Our organization has seen tremendous growth over the last three years and decided we needed to review the entire practice to ensure we were prepared for the future in all aspects. We decided to bring in the team at Brown Smith Wallace. The collaboration with Brown Smith Wallace has been vital in our reengineering process. Several strategic initiatives were developed as part of our Practice Review they successfully completed. The Review really looked at all aspects of our practice including our culture, operations, governance, finance, operational leadership and all the components of our revenue cycle. They worked with our physicians and staff in developing strategies and an implementation schedule of prioritized objectives. They used a Lean Six Sigma approach throughout the entire project and have been able to identify tremendous opportunity to improve our quality, cost efficiencies, cash collections and the patient experience. Further they have helped me identify leadership roles and appropriate structures. I highly recommend Brown Smith Wallace as they not only have helped transform our practice, but have done so with a clear understanding of our culture and opportunities.
Greg Thompson, President/CEO
In The News
- Contractor Supply Magazine, 12.07.2018
- Q4 2019 Public Sector Advisory Risk Briefing: Strategic Process Improvement @ Blanchette Park Memorial HallBlanchette Park Memorial Hall 1900 W Randolph St, St Charles, MO 63301, USA, 12.12.2019
- First Floor Training Room, CityPlace 6 Cityplace Dr, Creve Coeur, MO 63141, USA, 12.13.2019
- Online/Live Webinar, 12.18.2019
- Online/Live Webinar, 06.12.2018
- Brown Smith Wallace, 06.08.2018
- Blanchette Park Memorial Hall, 06.07.2018