As hacks and other threats to digital information continue to increase, the demand for data privacy for individuals and businesses is greater than ever before. Even with multiple layers of protection, organizations are susceptible to intrusions, unintentional security configuration errors or malicious insiders. No one is totally secure and the financial and reputational risks of a breach are significant.
Organizations may face litigation, regulatory fines and reputation issues if sensitive information is not properly protected. The risks are typically higher in industries with complex regulatory requirements, organizations that are unable to determine what constitutes sensitive data and organizations that lack an integrated approach to data privacy.
An individual’s right to data privacy and an organization’s wish to use personal data may appear to be incompatible. However, Brown Smith Wallace data privacy experts can assist you in balancing these competing objectives by developing a comprehensive data privacy framework. Our expertise in operations, risk management, compliance, data analysis and technology allows us to address your data privacy concerns while supporting and impacting your growth and success.
We approach data privacy by first understanding your business and data, the purposes and uses of personal or other sensitive information and how data is managed throughout your organization. Our team of highly experienced data privacy professionals will examine your critical business systems and help you determine the level of exposure you have to both internal and external threats. We also provide a wide array of services to assist organizations in identifying which data privacy laws may be applicable.
Our areas of expertise include:
- Data Flow Documentation and Analysis
- Data Governance
- Data Privacy Framework and Strategy Development
- Policy and Procedure Development
- Privacy Impact Assessments (PIA)
- Regulatory Compliance:
- European Union (EU) General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- U.S. Privacy Shield
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) Privacy of Consumer Information Rule
- PCI Compliance
- State and Local Privacy Laws and Regulation such as California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the New York Privacy Act
We were extremely pleased with our enterprise information security risk assessment performed by Brown Smith Wallace. They identified several different areas that were at risk, and developed the foundation to increase control of our information security. As a result of their expertise, more than 30 policies were rewritten, consolidated or created.
Mike Abbene, V.P./CIO-Retired
A few years ago, we made the decision to move our audit and tax work to a larger firm. We had grown considerably, and were looking for a firm that could provide value beyond just the traditional audit and tax work that we had needed in the past. Our requirements did not preclude a firm that was unfamiliar with our industry from being chosen, but certainly the size of the firm and their commitment to quality were important factors to us. We were looking for a good fit and a good partner. After an extensive review, we chose Brown Smith Wallace to be our partner.
From the start of our engagement, Brown Smith Wallace did not disappoint, as they initially impressed us with their audit and tax knowledge and capabilities. Early on, they recommended a change in a tax filing that saved us a considerable sum of money….and we realized they had a whole lot more to offer. We have used them to assist us with acquisitions, conduct penetration tests of our IT security, and perform a variety of operational and financial special projects.
If you are looking for an accounting firm that adds real value, strives to understand your business, and is committed to being a long-term partner, you should talk to Brown Smith Wallace.
CCA Global Partners
Jim Acker, CFO
Brown Smith Wallace’s IT security professionals helped the bank enhance our control over technology with proactive advice, attention to scope and budget with insights into best practices.
Integra Bank N.A.
Sherry Meeks, VP-Internal Audit Manager
- Small Business Monthly, 05.01.2019
- FINRA Highlights Compliance, Supervisory and Risk Management Focus Areas for Financial Services Firms02.12.2018
- Online, 05.16.2018
- Online, 05.15.2018
- Online, 09.15.2017
- Q3-2017 Public Sector Advisory Risk Briefing: Cybersecurity: Workforce Security, Compliance Requirements and Hacking Trends @ 6 CityPlace First Floor Training RoomBrown Smith Wallace 6 CityPlace Dr, Creve Coeur, MO 63141, USA, 09.08.2017
- CityPlace 1 - Lower Auditorium and Atrium 1 Cityplace Dr, Creve Coeur, MO 63141, USA, 04.20.2017