Governor Nixon Signs Legislation Authorizing 90-Day Amnesty from Tax Liabilities
Missouri Governor Jay Nixon has signed legislation authorizing a 90-day amnesty from the assessment or payment of penalties, additions to tax, and interest with respect to unpaid taxes. This amnesty program will run from September 1, 2015, to November 30, 2015.
The amnesty will apply only to tax liabilities due on or before December 31, 2014. It will not extend to any taxpayer who at the time of payment is a party to any criminal investigation or to any civil or criminal litigation that is pending in any court of the United States or Missouri for nonpayment, delinquency or fraud in relation to any state tax imposed by Missouri.
The amnesty program will apply to taxes administered by the Missouri Department of Revenue and will be granted only to taxpayers who meet and agree to the following:
- Apply for amnesty within the stated period
- File a tax return for each taxable period for which amnesty is requested
- Pay the entire balance in accordance with rules established by the Director of Revenue by November 30, 2015
- Agree to comply with state tax laws for the next eight years from the date of the agreement
- An express and absolute relinquishment of all administrative and judicial rights of appeal
- No tax payment received under this program will be eligible for refund or credit
- Ineligible to participate in any future Missouri amnesty for the same type of tax
If the taxpayer fails to comply with state tax laws for the entire eight years (e.g., there is an audit finding), all penalties, additions to tax, and interest that were waived during the amnesty will be immediately due.
If you have questions regarding the amnesty program, please contact your Brown Smith Wallace tax advisor, or Pam Huelsman at email@example.com or 314.983.1392.