Brown Smith Wallace Gives Back with Virtual Day of Caring
(ST. LOUIS, September 17, 2020) On September 2, 261 Brown Smith Wallace employees participated in over 400 volunteer activities on the firm’s virtual Day of Caring.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Brown Smith Wallace reimagined its Day of Caring event, a firm-wide initiative that enables employees to take time out of their day to give back to the community. The firm’s Partnership Readiness Program participants led the virtual initiative, which included finding volunteer activities that employees could do alone or from home rather than in large groups like they have in the past.
The committee compiled and provided employees a handbook with a list of volunteer opportunities that they could sign up for online. The opportunities supported the following organizations: American Red Cross, Friends of Kids with Cancer, Junior Achievement of Greater St. Louis, KidSmart, MindsEye, Pedal the Cause, Ranken Jordan Pediatric Bridge Hospital, St. Louis Arc, The Sheridan at Chesterfield and YWCA Metro St. Louis.
“The COVID-19 pandemic has created more need in our community,” said Tony Caleca, managing partner of Brown Smith Wallace. “Giving back and supporting our community has never been more important. Our team members showed great leadership reimagining this annual event so we could make an impact while staying safe and healthy.”
Through the firm’s collective volunteering:
- 53 family members donated blood
- Nine employees filmed career journey videos for Junior Achievement of Greater St. Louis
- Over 14,000 school supply items were donated to KidSmart, with an additional $1,660 raised in monetary donations
- 726 books were donated to the YWCA Head Start program, along with nearly 60 videos of employees reading books virtually to children
- 44 files of news content read aloud by employees were sent to MindsEye, a virtual newsstand that provides free news content to the visually impaired
- More than $8,000 was raised for Pedal the Cause, with employees biking a combined total of 170 miles and running/walking 100 miles
- More than 1,000 masks, both hand-made and disposable, were donated to St. Louis Arc
- 100+ cards were written and sent to Ranken Jordan Pediatric Bridge Hospital, The Sheridan at Chesterfield and Friends of Kids with Cancer to help fight against isolation during a pandemic that requires social-distancing
“You don’t have to be in-person to make a difference, and I believe the employees at Brown Smith Wallace proved that and more during our first virtual Day of Caring,” said Caleca. “To say I am proud is an understatement. To continue to see the very best in people during these stressful times is truly inspiring.”
Click here to watch a video compilation of the firm’s Day of Caring.
About Brown Smith Wallace
Brown Smith Wallace—an independent firm associated with Moore Global Network Limited—is a nationally recognized, top 100, full-service CPA and business advisory firm in Missouri with more than 300 employees. The firm is the top-ranked St. Louis firm in the 2021 Vault Accounting Firm ranking, is recognized as a top workplace for women by the Accounting MOVE Project and is a 2020 INSIDE Public Accounting Best of the Best Firm. For more information, visit brownsmithwallace.com or call 314.983.1200.
NOTE TO EDITORS: Permission to reprint is hereby given to all print, broadcast and electronic media. Permission is also granted for reasonable editing, including article title change and customizing for your audience/industry. Please send a copy of the published information to: Brown Smith Wallace, Cheryl Foster, 6 CityPlace Drive, Suite 900, St. Louis, MO 63141.
For More Information Contact:
Cheryl Foster Valeria Klamm