Brown Smith Wallace is the largest and most experienced firm to provide consulting services to governments and public sector entities throughout the Midwest. Our Public Sector Industry Group professionals provide a variety of compliance, fraud and forensic, consulting, process improvement and internal audit and control services for public sector entities of all sizes. We help organizations working with diminishing resources remain accountable to their stakeholders. We provide comprehensive services to public sector entities in the following areas:
- Federal government
- State government
- Local government
- Quasi-governmental organizations (e.g., public utilities, public transportation, library districts)
- Higher education
- Not for profit
The team is made up of several subject matter experts and led by Ron Steinkamp, CPA, CIA, CFE, CRMA, CGMA. With over 20 years of experience, Ron has worked extensively with federal, state and local governmental agencies to develop, enhance and direct internal audit functions, implement process improvement initiatives, conduct compliance reviews, lead and perform operational and construction audits, and complete fraud investigations.
Our public sector services fulfill a wide range of needs, from specialty audits or risk reviews and fraud investigations to comprehensive enterprise risk management. We use a flexible approach that helps federal, state and local public sector entities effectively identify, assess and manage risks inherent in their organizations. Our public sector industry team consists of a strong government audit and IT audit core supported by value-oriented capabilities in a variety of areas.
Our services for the public sector industry include:
- Cash Flow Optimization
- Construction Audit
- Data Analysis
- Energy Assessments
- Fraud Prevention & Investigation
- Insurance Consulting
- Internal Audit
- IT Audit & Advisory
- Marketing Advisory
- Outsourced Accounting
- Process Improvement
- SOC Examinations
- Software Evaluation and Selection
- Strategic Planning
Please contact Ron Steinkamp today to schedule a public sector risk assessment for your office. In less than 30 minutes, you can learn your areas of greatest risk and begin developing solutions.
Brown Smith Wallace assisted the Archdiocese of St. Louis with an internal audit assessment of guidelines and controls related to electronic financial transactions at parishes made through shared accounting. Their team identified gaps in existing internal control guidelines and made recommendations to improve controls related to electronic transactions, including invoice transmission and processing, electronic check signatures, electronic bank statement reviews, online payments and electronic document retention. The final reported demonstrated a thorough understanding of our organization and its processes. Ultimately, the project resulted in recommendations that make sense based on how we operate and should help tighten controls in the long run once implemented. The knowledge and insight from the Brown Smith Wallace team was valuable, and we are appreciative of their expertise and the final report we received.
Archdiocese of St. Louis
Katie Feise, Internal Audit
The City of Moberly requested Brown Smith Wallace conduct an analysis of the city’s water and sewer billings and collections. The objective was to ensure billings and collections, as reported by the city, were reasonable and controls were in place, adequate and operating effectively to ensure the accuracy and proper reporting of future water and sewer revenues. Their team performed detailed data analytic procedures on water and sewer billing records between over two years. The results included recommendations to improve our procedures and internal controls over water and sewer billings and collections. Their analysis identified several potential data anomalies. Due to the nature of the utility billing process, these anomalies need to be further researched to determine if billing inaccuracies exist. A significant initiative being led by city management is underway to correct the various items identified during this assessment and other related projects. We are grateful for the work Brown Smith Wallace has done and continues to do for the City of Moberly.
City of Moberly
Mary West, Director of Utilities
During the year we have been worked with Brown Smith Wallace, I have found that their team has tremendous expertise in local government financial operations. They have demonstrated a keen understanding of our risks and worked with our city officials to develop sensible solutions to mitigate those risks. Moreover, they have provided us with a number of suggested “best practices” in day-to-day operations and have helped document the way we do things. I can say without question that Brown Smith Wallace has truly made a measurable difference for the City of St. Charles and its finance department. I would recommend their organization for any work for which they are under consideration.
City of St. Charles
Michael L. Spurgeon, Former Director of Administration
Brown Smith Wallace performed a fraud risk assessment for the City of St. Charles Parks and Recreation Department to identify potential occupational fraud risks within the financial and accounting processes, evaluate existing internal controls, and recommend the implementation of controls and processes designed to properly address those risks. As a result of that risk assessment, the firm identified opportunities to improve our internal controls and recommended ways to better prevent fraud in the future.
City of St. Charles Parks & Recreation Department
Maralee Britton, Director of Parks and Recreation
Brown Smith Wallace has assisted the Internal Audit Section of the City of St. Louis with various construction audit projects. These projects have focused on reviews of contracts, payment applications and change orders. These construction audits have improved internal controls within the city, and have subsequently helped save taxpayer dollars. We value the expertise and personalized service the Brown Smith Wallace team has provided us.
City of St. Louis, Internal Audit Section
Mohammad Adil, Audit Supervisor
Brown Smith Wallace has assisted the City of St. Louis in a review of its Internal Audit function in accordance with professional standards outlined by the Institute of Internal Auditors. The team from Brown Smith Wallace, led by Ron Steinkamp, provided the City with recommendations related to Internal Audit that should improve Internal Audit’s conformance to the professional standards as well as the efficiency and effectiveness in which they operate. I highly recommend Brown Smith Wallace.
City of St. Louis/Comptroller’s Office
Elaine Harris Spearman, Esq., Former Legal Advisor & Chief of Staff
Since 2011, Brown Smith Wallace has assisted the St. Louis Metropolitan Sewer District (the District) with performing its ongoing internal audit function, which includes procedures to monitor, review, and test the activities of a $4.7 billion system improvement initiative to improve water quality and alleviate wastewater concerns that were identified and addressed by the EPA through a Consent Decree that went into effect in April of 2012. Their team has provided significant expertise in the areas of construction auditing that include engagements addressing construction and design contracts, payment applications, change orders, overhead rates, and safety programs. Their firm's assistance and expertise has greatly helped the District improve and strengthen the processes and controls over this very large system construction and improvement initiative. These efforts have been very effective in assisting Management in their efforts to adequately protect the assets of the District, thereby protecting the interests of the District’s stakeholders, which is vitally important. Brown Smith Wallace is a valuable partner and expert in construction audit services, and the District greatly values the services they have provided.
St. Louis Metropolitan Sewer District
Todd Loretta, Internal Audit Administrator
As part of our strategic planning process and ongoing efforts to improve efficiency, effectiveness and service, St. Louis Public Library requested that Brown Smith Wallace assist with the implementation of a series of improvements to the Library’s core business services. Brown Smith Wallace assisted the Library with process improvement implementation and provided additional recommendations in investment policy, general internal controls, revenue process, ERP system, organizational structure and our accounts payable process. Their team continues to be a valued resource for us as we seek to improve how we operate and serve the public.
St. Louis Public Library
Justin Struttmann, Chief Operating Officer
Brown Smith Wallace has assisted St. Louis Public Schools by providing internal audit and other consulting services since 2016. To date, they have completed audits of student transportation, student activity accounts, purchasing and food service. These audits have provided the school district with key guidance to improve our internal controls, recommendations to strengthen controls over contractor compliance and monitoring, and the opportunity to potentially generate savings in the future.
St. Louis Public Schools
Ernest Clark, Director of Audit and Compliance
Over the last 10 years, Washington University has leveraged the Brown Smith Wallace construction audit team to help us effectively monitor more than 30 capital projects on the Danforth and Medical School campuses. The firm has been a true partner in these efforts, getting involved in our projects early on as contracts are being developed. They work side by side with our planning, development and construction teams and internal audit team to head off and resolve issues, as well as recover and avoid unnecessary or invalid costs. This partnership has been incredibly important in helping the university build and maintain a strong construction program and control environment.
Kathy Gaytan, Director of Internal Audit
- Missouri Municipal League Magazine, 10.31.2018
- First Floor Training Room, CityPlace 6 Cityplace Dr, Creve Coeur, MO 63141, USA, 12.13.2019
- Blanchette Park Memorial Hall 1900 W Randolph St, St Charles, MO 63301, USA, 12.12.2019
- First Floor Training Room, CityPlace 6 Cityplace Dr, Creve Coeur, MO 63141, USA, 09.13.2019
- Q3 2019 Advisory Risk Briefing: Using Data Analytics to Monitor Fraud Risks @ Blanchette Park Memorial HallBlanchette Park Memorial Hall 1900 W Randolph St, St Charles, MO 63301, USA, 09.12.2019
- Q2 2019 Advisory Risk Briefing: Cybersecurity on a Budget: Addressing Cyber Vulnerabilities for Your Business @ CityPlace 6Ninth Floor Boardroom, CityPlace 6 Cityplace Dr, Creve Coeur, MO 63141, USA, 06.14.2019
- Q2 2019 Advisory Risk Briefing: Cybersecurity on a Budget: Addressing Cyber Vulnerabilities for Your Business @ Blanchette Park Memorial HallBlanchette Park Memorial Hall 1900 W Randolph St, St Charles, MO 63301, USA, 06.13.2019
- Columbia, MO, 05.15.2019
- Online/Live Webinar, 03.13.2019
- Q1 2019 Public Sector Advisory Risk Briefing: Governance, Culture & Entity-Level Controls @ CityPlace 6First Floor Training Room, CityPlace 6 Cityplace Dr, Creve Coeur, MO 63141, USA, 03.08.2019
- Q1 2019 Public Sector Advisory Risk Briefing: Governance, Culture & Entity-Level Controls @ Blanchette Park Memorial HallBlanchette Park Memorial Hall 1900 W Randolph St, St Charles, MO 63301, USA, 03.07.2019
- Online/Live Webinar, 03.05.2019
- Columbia, MO - Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center, 02.22.2019
- Q4 2018 Advisory Risk Briefing Webinar: Fraud Facts and What You Need to Know to Protect Your OrganizationOnline/Live Webinar, 12.12.2018
- Q4 2018 Public Sector Advisory Risk Briefing: Fraud Facts and What You Need to Know to Protect Your OrganizationBrown Smith Wallace, 12.07.2018
- Q4 2018 Public Sector Advisory Risk Briefing: Fraud Facts and What You Need to Know to Protect Your OrganizationBlanchette Park Memorial Hall, 12.06.2018
- Northfield Inn, Suites & Conference Center - Springfield, IL, 10.23.2018
- Online/Live Webinar, 09.12.2018
- Brown Smith Wallace, 09.07.2018
- Blanchette Park Memorial Hall, 09.06.2018
- Online/Live Webinar, 06.12.2018
- Brown Smith Wallace, 06.08.2018
- Blanchette Park Memorial Hall, 06.07.2018
- Holiday Inn, Airport West Earth City, 05.31.2018
- Q1 Advisory Risk Briefing Webinar: Effective Internal Controls for Vendor Management and ProcurementOnline/Live Webinar, 03.07.2018
- Q1 2018 Public Sector Advisory Risk Briefing: Effective Internal Controls for Vendor Management and ProcurementBrown Smith Wallace, 03.02.2018
- Q1 2018 Public Sector Advisory Risk Briefing: Effective Internal Controls for Vendor Management and ProcurementBlanchette Park Memorial Hall, 03.01.2018
- Online, 12.15.2017
- Q4-2017 Public Sector Advisory Risk Briefing: Establishing a Fraud Risk Management Program @ 6 CityPlace First Floor Training RoomCityPlace 6 Cityplace Dr, Creve Coeur, MO 63141, USA, 12.08.2017
- Q4-2017 Public Sector Advisory Risk Briefing: Establishing a Fraud Risk Management Program @ Blanchette Park Memorial HallBlanchette Park Memorial Hall 1900 W Randolph St, St Charles, MO 63301, USA, 12.07.2017
- 6 CityPlace First Floor Training Room 6 Cityplace Dr, Creve Coeur, MO 63141, USA, 06.02.2017
- Brown Smith Wallace | CityPlace 6 6 Cityplace Dr, Creve Coeur, MO 63141, USA, 03.03.2017
- Blanchette Park Memorial Hall 1900 W Randolph St, St Charles, MO 63301, USA, 03.02.2017