Our Public Sector Advisory Services include a variety of compliance, fraud and forensic, consulting, process improvement and internal audit and control services for government entities of all sizes. We help government agencies working with diminishing resources to remain accountable to their citizens.
Our public sector advisory services fulfill a wide range of needs, from specialty audits or risk reviews and fraud investigations to comprehensive enterprise risk management. We use a flexible approach that helps federal, state and local public sector entities effectively identify, assess and manage risks inherent in their organizations. Our public sector industry focused team consists of a strong government audit and IT audit core supported by value-oriented capabilities in a variety of areas. As a result of our capabilities and experience, we are able to use a flexible approach that fits your specific needs, and supports federal, state and local government entities.
Ron Steinkamp, CPA, CIA, CFE, CRMA, CGMA, leads our public sector advisory team. With over 20 years of experience, Ron has worked extensively with federal, state and local governmental agencies to develop, enhance and direct internal audit functions, implement process improvement initiatives, conduct compliance reviews, lead and perform operational and construction audits and complete fraud investigations. He is supported by additional subject matter experts, making Brown Smith Wallace the largest and most experienced firm to provide consulting services to governments throughout the Midwest.
Please contact Ron Steinkamp today to schedule a public sector risk assessment for your office. In less than 30 minutes, you can learn your areas of greatest risk and begin developing solutions. For a deeper look at what our public sector advisory services can do for you, click to read a real-life case study of how Brown Smith Wallace helped a county government.
During the year we have been worked with Brown Smith Wallace, I have found that their team has tremendous expertise in local government financial operations. They have demonstrated a keen understanding of our risks and worked with our city officials to develop sensible solutions to mitigate those risks. Moreover, they have provided us with a number of suggested “best practices” in day-to-day operations and have helped document the way we do things. I can say without question that Brown Smith Wallace has truly made a measurable difference for the City of St. Charles and its finance department. I would recommend their organization for any work for which they are under consideration.
City of St. Charles
Michael L. Spurgeon, Director of Administration
Brown Smith Wallace has assisted the City of St. Louis in a review of its Internal Audit function in accordance with professional standards outlined by the Institute of Internal Auditors. The team from Brown Smith Wallace, led by Ron Steinkamp, provided the City with recommendations related to Internal Audit that should improve Internal Audit’s conformance to the professional standards as well as the efficiency and effectiveness in which they operate. I highly recommend Brown Smith Wallace.
City of St. Louis/Comptroller’s Office
Elaine Harris Spearman, Esq., Legal Advisor & Chief of Staff
For the past few years, Brown Smith Wallace has been instrumental in the effort to establish and maintain a strong internal audit function at the District. With the assistance from Brown Smith Wallace, the District’s internal audit function has been very effective in assisting Management with achieving proper governance while providing value-added input that benefits the operations of the District.
Metropolitan St. Louis Sewer District
Todd Loretta, Internal Audit Administrator
Brown Smith Wallace provided us with an excellent blueprint for best practices in financial management. In addition to tightening controls to protect taxpayer dollars, the audit directed us to look at ways County government could improve service and run more efficiently. Aside from the millions of dollars saved, we have a comprehensive guide to best practices in fiscal management and a strong framework to focus on efficiency and stewardship. This forensic audit will ensure that our government is responsive and responsible for years to come.
St. Louis County
Steve Stenger, County Executive
- Blanchette Park Memorial Hall, 06.07.2018
- Brown Smith Wallace, 06.08.2018
- Online/Live Webinar, 06.12.2018
- Blanchette Park Memorial Hall, 09.06.2018
- Brown Smith Wallace, 09.07.2018
- Online/Live Webinar, 09.12.2018
- Q4 2018 Public Sector Advisory Risk Briefing: Fraud Facts and What You Need to Know to Protect Your OrganizationBlanchette Park Memorial Hall, 12.06.2018
- Q4 2018 Public Sector Advisory Risk Briefing: Fraud Facts and What You Need to Know to Protect Your OrganizationBrown Smith Wallace, 12.07.2018
- Q4 2018 Advisory Risk Briefing Webinar: Fraud Facts and What You Need to Know to Protect Your OrganizationOnline/Live Webinar, 12.12.2018
- Q1 Advisory Risk Briefing Webinar: Effective Internal Controls for Vendor Management and ProcurementOnline/Live Webinar, 03.07.2018
- Q1 2018 Public Sector Advisory Risk Briefing: Effective Internal Controls for Vendor Management and ProcurementBrown Smith Wallace, 03.02.2018
- Q1 2018 Public Sector Advisory Risk Briefing: Effective Internal Controls for Vendor Management and ProcurementBlanchette Park Memorial Hall, 03.01.2018
- Online, 12.15.2017
- Q4-2017 Public Sector Advisory Risk Briefing: Establishing a Fraud Risk Management Program @ 6 CityPlace First Floor Training RoomCityPlace 6 Cityplace Dr, Creve Coeur, MO 63141, USA, 12.08.2017
- Q4-2017 Public Sector Advisory Risk Briefing: Establishing a Fraud Risk Management Program @ Blanchette Park Memorial HallBlanchette Park Memorial Hall 1900 W Randolph St, St Charles, MO 63301, USA, 12.07.2017
- 6 CityPlace First Floor Training Room 6 Cityplace Dr, Creve Coeur, MO 63141, USA, 06.02.2017
- Brown Smith Wallace | CityPlace 6 6 Cityplace Dr, Creve Coeur, MO 63141, USA, 03.03.2017
- Blanchette Park Memorial Hall 1900 W Randolph St, St Charles, MO 63301, USA, 03.02.2017