Considering a captive? Here are some questions to ask to help decide if this program is right for you. A Brown Smith Wallace advisor will perform a thorough analysis and determine whether a captive is right for you and how it can be designed to work with other solutions.
- Are you currently self-insuring risks?
- Is your company profitable?
- Does your company have positive cash flow?
- Do you have a business reason for setting up a captive?
- Is your business family-owned? (What estate planning mechanisms are currently in place?)
Once it is determined that a captive will be beneficial for your situation, we will analyze the following tax questions: Is your captive’s primary business to provide insurance?
- Are the risks being insured actually insurance risks?
- Are the risks being insured actually being shifted to the captive?
- Is there appropriate distribution of risk (how many insureds are involved)?
- Do your captive’s transactions include commonly accepted notions of insurance?
>>If you answer yes to any of these questions, contact us for a complimentary insurance consultation. We’ll help you determine how a captive can benefit your business.